TRANSFERRING & STORING COLLECT BACKUPS
Backup files generated in the app need to be transferred out of the app and stored securely in your PC or Mac (or possibly a Dropbox or Google Drive account). Once transferred successfully, the backup files should be deleted from your device (it won't affect any photos or data in the app).
The following instructions apply to iTunes 12 in OS X Yosemite. For iTunes 11 in OS X Mavericks go here.
Transferring FROM your device:
Some information on transferring backup files from your device:
- To transfer backup files from your device, you need to use iTunes. The first step is to connect your device (via USB) to the PC or Mac where you have your iTunes account.
- Once connected, access your device (from the top row when in the iTunes Library as shown).
- With your device shown, tap the 'Apps' row in the left menu.
- Within Apps, scroll the right section down to the File Sharing area and select the Collect app listed.
- In the right column, select the backup files you want to transfer and store.
- Then scroll to the bottom and select 'Save to...' to select the destination where you want to save the backup files.
- Once saved, you can simply select and then tap delete on the keyboard to remove the file from your device (or swipe and delete from the list inside the app under 'Manage & transfer').
Transferring ONTO your device:
Some information on transferring backup files onto your device:
- To transfer backup files onto your device, you need to use iTunes. The first step is to connect your device (via USB) to the PC or Mac where you have your iTunes account.
- Once connected, access your device (from the top row when in the iTunes Library) - as shown above.
- Follow the steps above to access the File Sharing area and open the Collect app listed.
- Select 'Add...' at the bottom to browse for and select the desired backup file from your PC or Mac. It must be backup file with the appropriate '.collect' file extension.
- After loading successfully to the File Sharing area, the file will look like this. Multiple backup files can be added at once (use a maximum of 5 at one time probably).